Author Topic: Knight Errant's WIP  (Read 4423 times)

Knight Errant

• Designer
  • Paper King
  • Oh, for three more posts...
Knight Errant's WIP
« on: February 28, 2012, 02:48:17 PM »
Thought I might as well have a WIP thread to show off exhibit my latest side-projects and works. Might as well kick off with my Dharper-style front-on fictional 1800s infantry. The figures you see below are Line Infantry of the Verlindan Empire, at war with the crumbling Dominion of Verd.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:05:03 PM by Knight Errant »

Knight Errant

• Designer
  • Paper King
Re: Knight Errant's Weird and Wonderful WIP
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:50:07 AM »
Okay...some tweaks to the Verlind and another faction: Hoskavinia.

Hoskavinia was once a staunch ally of Verlind in the wars against the Dominion of Verd, but when the Verlindan Emperor found out that the Hoskavinians were providing another enemy, Pendria, with weaponry and supplies Verlind declared war on the Hoskav states. Elite, battle-hardened and often ruthless, Verlind troops have in the past bettered their Hoskavinian counterparts, but recent skirmishes have shown that the Hoskavinian line of battle is being well-trained and may soon match the rest of its Continental counterparts in terms of equipment and skill.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:05:50 AM by Knight Errant »

Aggressivenutmeg

• Designer
  • Paper King
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:03:29 AM »
very nice stuff KE
"It was like an allegorical picture of war; the trainload of fresh men gliding proudly up the line, the maimed men sliding slowly down... and reviving that pernicious feeling, so difficult to get rid of, that war is glorious after all."
 - George Orwell, Homage to Catalonia

kalashnikov

• Paper King
  • http://lunartom22.deviantart.com/
    • http://lunartom22.deviantart.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:28:47 AM »
These are awesome and an interesting time period, keep up the good work.

Knight Errant

• Designer
  • Paper King
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »
Okay...some more background and other stuff until I can put together some more troops.

The Continent is a large tract of land occupied by the Continental factions. Rough faction maps below, courtesy of the Pax Universalis map made by Tau. There will be more factions added in time, but for now these are the 'main' ones I will be working on.

For many centuries the Dominion of Verd (Green) dominated both the lands and the politics of the Continent, and commanded a large share of maritime trade through its many colonies. Right up until the late 1600s no other power could stand against it.
In 1732, the states to the East of Verd formed the Verlindan Coalition to counter the Verdan army campaigning across the mountains into their land. In early battles the rabble-like Coalition army was beaten and turned back, but in 1735 Duke Oswel Vondaman led an army across the seas and landed on the undefended Verdan coast. A small army send from the Verdan capital was utterly routed at the Battle of Varibello, and the Duke moved his army West to liberate the Hoskav States from Verdan rule. The Hoskavinians became staunch allies of the Verlindans, and notably carried away the Verdan flank with a ferocious charge at the Battle of Monte Jineia in 1739. The Verdans managed to hold off further Verlindan and Hoskavinian advances, but failed to retake the lands that they had lost. The Coalition retained a sizeable chunk of land when the Dominion of Verd concluded a peace treaty in 1743.
   By the turn of the century, the Verlindan Coalition had coalesced into the Verlindan Empire (Black), under the rule of Emperor Garwein Magnus, and the Hoskav States had reformed into Hoskavinia (Blue). They initially maintained an uneasy peace with the Verdans, but when a fresh and devastating attack rolled into the Dominion from the Carrondelle Republic (Yellow), the Empire seized its chance and resumed military action against the weakened Dominion, forming a temporary but frictious alliance with the Carondelles.
   Meanwhile, the Kingdom of Pendria (Red) had been dispatching privateers in peacetime to raid merchant shipping, and in 1799 a Pendrian fleet had taken an Imperial colony in L'Aestus (Not shown). Following this, the Verlindan Empire had initiated a naval war with Pendria, but suffered a massive defeat at the Battle of Sweeping Strait (1801), when 23 Verlindan ships-of-the-line were thoroughly outmanouevred and beaten by 19 Pendrian line-of-battle ships. To add insult to injury, in 1802 Verlindan merchants noticed that the Hoskavinian shipyards were building frigates for the Pendrians, and outfitting them with cannon and powder. The Empire promptly declared war and initiated a third front, striking West into Hoskavinia to meet with initial success.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:00:46 PM by Knight Errant »

Knight Errant

• Designer
  • Paper King
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:21:49 PM »
More updates. Just a few tweaks to the Verlindans and Hoskavinians, the addition of Verlindan Jaegers, and the first look at the Dominion of Verd's army.

Knight Errant

• Designer
  • Paper King
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 12:23:56 PM »
Peliminary backsides

Knight Errant

• Designer
  • Paper King
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »
I've done some more backsides to complement the frontsides. Other than a little 1-figure test back in 2010 I've never done backs before, so I'm fairly pleased with how these have turned out. I am already beginning to dislike the Hoskavinians, though. They're a tad bland, and their uniform is rather shabby. But hey, that's what you get when you're a small underfunded newly-independent state with little heritage in tailoring.

Knight Errant

• Designer
  • Paper King
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 12:24:54 AM »
Filler Time: The factions and their analogues

Verlindan Empire: Prussia
Dominion of Verd: Italy/France/Austro-Hungary
Hoskavinia: Moravia/Silesia/Bavaria
Pendria: Great Britain
Carrondelle: Revolutionary France

Knight Errant

• Designer
  • Paper King
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 07:19:35 PM »
A meaningful update this time: I've been focussing on the Verlindan Empire, and this is what I've come up with.

Daniel

• Human Target
  • Administrator
  • Paper King
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 07:41:13 PM »
Nice work Sir. Very nice work.   ;D

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:00:59 PM by Daniel »
: Forum Rules : Forum FAQs :
"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Aggressivenutmeg

• Designer
  • Paper King
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 07:56:05 PM »
Excellent work
"It was like an allegorical picture of war; the trainload of fresh men gliding proudly up the line, the maimed men sliding slowly down... and reviving that pernicious feeling, so difficult to get rid of, that war is glorious after all."
 - George Orwell, Homage to Catalonia

Knight Errant

• Designer
  • Paper King
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 09:17:24 PM »
*Bump!*

Okay, so I know this is in the Nonhistorical section, but I've finally started work on a project I've been wanting to do for a long time: The Flagstaff Wars (NZ). Without further ado I give you Ngapuhi Rangatira (Chief of the Ngapuhi) Hone Heke, Ngapuhi Rangatira Te Ruki Kawiti and a Maōri warrior wielding a Taiaha, circa 1846. Hone Heke and Kawiti are based on the painting at left, which was done during the Flagstaff Wars. I intend to make a full array of Maori armed with Patu, Mere, Wahaika, Kotiate, Tewhatewha and Taiaha. If I am in the right mood after this, I will also make some 1846 British soldiers as well.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:22:54 PM by Knight Errant »

Evilnames

• Administrator
  • Paper King
    • http://jgreview.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 09:24:31 PM »
very cool!

Viktor2a5

• Designer
  • Paper King