Author Topic: Top-down basic poses  (Read 10845 times)

dirk

• Global Moderator
  • Paper King
Top-down basic poses
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:20:01 AM »
Hi,

just wanted to show some of the poses which I use for some of my topdown works. These apply for ancients, dark ages and possibly renaissance, and related areas, like "classic" epic fantasy .
Feel free to use them! I am interested in missing elements and other feedback.

Best regards
Dirk

Daniel

• Human Target
  • Administrator
  • Paper King
Re: Top-down basic poses
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:25:48 AM »
I like it. The only one thing I saw would be to make the unicorn hrne more obvious, but I realize that might be hard at this scale.  :)

Missing Units:
Dragons (Small, Med, Large)
Titans
Werewolf
Tresure pile

Keep up the wonderful work.  :)

: Forum Rules : Forum FAQs :
"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

forrest gump

• Collector
  • Paper King
  • shoot 'em down; sort 'em out on the ground
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 09:58:34 AM »
yeah! more top-down poses. expect more art from me  ;D

Eduard

• Designer
  • Paper King
  • What is this?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 11:01:42 AM »
Hey, that's me elephant!
You forgot to draw a line on his back (for his ?spline?).
Sic transit gloria mundi.
(Thus passes the glory of the world)

I draw Ancients!

dirk

• Global Moderator
  • Paper King
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 01:36:45 PM »
Here are the results from the feedback so far

@Eduard sorry about the elephant. I collected the topdown work on the site and aggregated them all. I tend to forget to mention sources for basic work ;) I added the spines to your elephants

@Daniel a large dragon is already part of the first set, here are the rest of the mentioned monsters. I assume a kind of giant. As for the dragons: I have never heard abut medium and small dragons as part of some wargame and other miniatures, but I may be wrong. I added some werewolf, but I think they are rather individualistic ond don't tent to be used in fantasy wargaming (i.e. with mass armies). As for treasure, here is a pile of gold...

Best regards
Dirk

Daniel

• Human Target
  • Administrator
  • Paper King
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »
@Daniel a large dragon is already part of the first set, here are the rest of the mentioned monsters. I assume a kind of giant. As for the dragons: I have never heard abut medium and small dragons as part of some wargame and other miniatures, but I may be wrong.
D&D, the grandfather of all RPG miniture games, has more then three sizes. But I figured three would be enough.

I added some werewolf, but I think they are rather individualistic ond don't tent to be used in fantasy wargaming (i.e. with mass armies).

A few wargames have werewolf factions but the one with the best looking minis is Confrontation. Here is a link to their basic army box for the werewolf faction:
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/inc/sdetail/636783

Also google "Wolfen Army Figures" to see some more of their figures.

BThank You for your efforts.

Daniel
: Forum Rules : Forum FAQs :
"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

(Recon 4) Buster Buizel

• Paper King
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 05:57:19 PM »
YOU FORGOT THE GIANT ENEMY CRAB!

HIT IT'S WEAK SPOT FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!  :D

lol, nice td poses

dirk

• Global Moderator
  • Paper King
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 03:06:36 AM »
@ (Recon 4) Buster Buizel  a giant crab is a good idea. Will do this in time.
@ Daniel  but the poses are about wargaming, not roleplay ;) In wargaming you tend to have much less differences . I viewed the dragon as either a monster or a mount, not as a whole race than in D&D. I found a dragon army list, but this was a cheat (at least IMHO), because they worked with human sized dragon men
   As for the werewolf, I don't think I will follow there. Beside that Confrontation is a specific game (which may lead to copyright problems, I would like to stay rather generic), I don't think there wolf army makes much sense. Why does a werewolf (which is already capable barehanded) need to wield a halberd?. It is a monster (with monster like special abilities), not a race.

Best regards
Dirk

dirk

• Global Moderator
  • Paper King
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »
Now that I have a little calmed down, I can reply more :)
If you really want to file a Wolfmen army, Confrontation style, you should provide elements for its rank and file warriors.
Attached are some more example Wolfmen warriors, and a giant crab.

Best regards
Dirk

dirk

• Global Moderator
  • Paper King
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 10:36:49 AM »
The first troup types needed for some real armies. I use some fantasy wargame rules (in German) I found, but if you remove the fantasy elements (magicians, dragons), you can also use them for historical wargaming.

Best regards
Dirk

kalashnikov

• Paper King
  • http://lunartom22.deviantart.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 06:23:41 AM »
Nice empire soldiers Dirk; I have played about with these poses and came up with some lizardmen (i liked the dinosaur types which you included in the set.) So i edited a few of the human topdown poses to look like lizardmen and here is the result;

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The set has five unit types; spearmen, swordsmen, scouts with javelins, scouts with blowpipes and lizard riders. Each unit has a command. I also did a couple of characters.

I enjoyed making these and your poses Dirk are good and easy to work with and alot of scope for customisation so thanks for posting this mate  ;) Im sure i will have alot of fun with them in the future

dirk

• Global Moderator
  • Paper King
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 09:57:47 AM »
I like your variant of the lizardmen (even if I hope to do some of them myself) and the dwarves from your other thread.
I especially like the battle standards, the tribal weapons and the character stands.
I also like the variants of the dwarves weapons, especially the thing which looks suspiciously like a WW1 era machine gun to me  :)

As for myself, I have not yet decided on bases. The recommended bases for the wargaming rules are slightly different from yours (and do not have explicit character bases).

For now, my second faction, the city states. Loosely based on renaissance Italy, where the fantasy aspect is done by including some inventions e.g. by Leonardo da Vinci, which were never realized in this era.

Best regards
Dirk

kalashnikov

• Paper King
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 09:22:25 AM »
Thank you very much for your kind words. Lol i know what you mean by the thing which looks like a ww1 machene gun; it was meant to be a musket lol.

Ur city state chaps look brilliant; especially your quirky inventions and the beggars! nice work

dirk

• Global Moderator
  • Paper King
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 11:30:04 AM »
> Ur city state chaps look brilliant; especially your quirky inventions and the beggars! nice work

Thanks for your kind words.

Here is my next faction, the Barbarians.

Best regards
Dirk

dirk

• Global Moderator
  • Paper King
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 02:56:51 PM »
The next faction - the dwarves

classic fantasy (mountain dwarves) - mostly heavy infantry and artillery. Support is given by the first types of giants.
Auxilliary cavalry, which I don't really like, but so it is mentioned in the rules ;)

Best regards
Dirk