Author Topic: Sci fi worries.  (Read 9809 times)

PAUL UK

Sci fi worries.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 07:31:10 AM »
@ DIRK I AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT THE BLOOD KNIGHTS IN SPACE THEY ARE GOOD DRAWINGS AND SEEM TO HAVE TOOK ALOT OF WORK BUT CAN THEY BE CALLED ORIGINAL BECAUSE OF THE FACT THEY ARE BASED ON THE SPACE MARINES EVEN IF IT IS STATED DIFFERENTLY THE ORGINAL BLOOD KIGHTS ON HORSE BACK WERE COOL BUT TRYING TO FILL A GAP BY CHANGING THEM INTO SPACE GOING KNIGHTS DISAPOINTS ME BECAUSE THIS IS NOT ORIGINAL
ALSO I DONT PLAY WARHAMMER APART FROM THE COMPUTER GAMES BUT LIKE YOU I LOVE THE ART WORK AND MODELS WHICH I ENJOY BUILDING SO I ENJOY THE IDEA AND DONT KNOCK IT

Ben Harvey

• Paper Soldier Philosopher
  • Global Moderator
  • Paper King
Sci fi worries.
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 07:31:52 AM »
those counters sound neat .. are they over head? or stand up ... if u can
caould u post a pic of them ... ur allowed to do that ..just dont scan them so that we cant use them ..and everone will be legally happy .. I just want to see what they look like ...
What's this... some sort of webcomic!?
http://beyondthelastgate.com/

Evilnames

• Administrator
  • Paper King
    • http://jgreview.blogspot.com/
Sci fi worries.
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 11:12:51 AM »
It is not an issue of if you drew it free hand or not.  Its an issue that they own that character.  Just because you draw your own MICKEY MOUSE cartoon doesn't mean you can go out and distrubte a mickey mouse character :P.  There are alternatives.  If you want to do proxies for warhamer plz plz follow shaungamer88's example.  HIs solution?  Making characters that are like them, but of his orginal design.  (Check out his blog for the space marines.)

dirk

• Global Moderator
  • Paper King
Sci fi worries.
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 11:36:46 AM »
> It is not an issue of if you drew it free hand or not. Its an issue that they > own that character. Just because you draw your own MICKEY MOUSE
> cartoon doesn't mean you can go out and distrubte a mickey mouse
> character . There are alternatives. If you want to do proxies for
> warhamer plz plz follow shaungamer88's example. HIs solution? Making
> characters that are like them, but of his orginal design. (Check out his
> blog for the space marines.)

One could argue that this approach even more dilutes the brand and removes from the value even more than a "pure paper conversion" ever could.
Basically you create your own derivatives, which are nearly, but not quite as good as the original.
Hence the "cheap copy" problem.

If you keep on the original, at least you are bound to the "paradigm" of the original.
If you copy, nothing keeps you from creating evil hybrids, say, a bastard system from GW-based data and some "Star Wars" or "Dune" "related" franchise.

There exist people (including me) which tink of this even worse as any copyright infringement.

Regards
Dirk

captain isaac

• Paper King
Sci fi worries.
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 11:40:32 AM »
why are you debateing this if its so simple, if you can get around the coppyright law just do it. i dont want to hear your whining about if someone is or not, if someone it notify JG, if its not THATS FINE but there is nothing to argue about if the coppyright is clear.
"Whenever I do mainstream stuff, I think they're pseudo-interested, but they're still interested in seeing weirdo, offbeat stuff. And that's what I'm attracted to." - Bruce Campbell

z-man

Sci fi worries.
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 06:41:10 PM »
I tried digital pictures of them in a way that I couldn't get into legal hot water, but it's really hard for you to get a feel for what they are from them.  

The counters Ben, really aren't very good.  All are fronts only, black and white type outlines, and were designed to lay flat on the table.  The scale seems a bit off to me too.  The counters really look too small to me.  For space marines, both Paul UK and shaungamer88's work are MUCH better that what GW provided way back when.  I'd also say that with a little modification, some of the medieval mini's that people have posted here would probably work for a WFB Empire or Bretonian army.

If you really want to see them, I'd check at your local GW store.  They may have a copy, but probably know of a few people who have been around the game long enough to have a copy stashed away somewhere.  E-bay has a couple copies that are selling for between $50 to $75 USD if you want to go that route.

Ben Harvey

• Global Moderator
  • Paper King
Sci fi worries.
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 07:40:15 PM »
thx .. I dont actualy want any ..just curous how they worked

PAUL UK

Sci fi worries.
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 10:52:33 AM »
@ CAPTAIN ISAAC
I AGREE ON THE COPY RIGHT SUBJECT BUT WAS UNHAPPY WITH YOUR COMMENTS YOU SHOW DISREGAURD FOR SOMEONE ELSES DRAWINGS AND THIS IS NOT POLITE I WOULD NOT DREAM OF SLATING YOUR WORK

Ben Harvey

• Global Moderator
  • Paper King
Sci fi worries.
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 01:24:18 PM »
whow ..  :o  freek out much ?  :shock:  
its just a some pictures we call letters that stand for phenetic sounds organized into groups and orderd so that we are able to derive information from them  ...  captain isaac is jsut voicing his thoughts .. you dont need to TYPE EVRYTHING IN UPPER CASE SO I LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE MAD

cool down

and wel can all be happy  :D

Evilnames

• Administrator
  • Paper King
    • http://jgreview.blogspot.com/
Sci fi worries.
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 01:26:34 PM »
I dont see any offense in the messages posted here.  So I think you should all calm down and reread what was posted.

PAUL UK

Sci fi worries.
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 02:55:44 PM »
I WRITE IN THIS CASE BECAUSE I WANT TO I AM NOT ANGRY ITS JUST THE WAY I WRITE YOU GUYS
AND JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT THINK THAT THE COMMENTS ARE UPSETTING DOESNT MEAN I DONT HAVING SOME ONE SAY THAT THE PICTURES ARE BAD LIKE CAPTAIN ISAAC SAYS ON PAGE ONE OF THIS TOPIC DOES UPSET ME YOU GUYS HAVE YOUR OPINION I HAVE MINE IT WOULD BE NICE TO THINK I CAN SAY WHAT I WANT AND FEEL WHEN I WANT SO STOP SAYING COOL DOWN IM PERFECTLY FINE AND JUST LIKE YOU GUYS LIKE EXSPESING MY OPINION THANKS
SO LETS GET OF THE NEGATIVE AND START WITH MORE POSITIVE I DID DESIGN SOME NEW VEHICLES FOR THE SPACE MARINES BUT DID NOT PUT ANY MARKINGS ON THEM BUT DO YOU THINK ANYONE COULD USE THEM? :D  :D  :D

dirk

• Global Moderator
  • Paper King
Sci fi worries.
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 03:37:19 PM »
> I DID DESIGN SOME NEW VEHICLES FOR THE SPACE MARINES BUT DID
> NOT PUT ANY MARKINGS ON THEM BUT DO YOU THINK ANYONE COULD
> USE THEM?

Doing some basic colour schema and putting some chapter badges on it seems possible.
However, this may take some time because I have to finish some other projects.

Regards
Dirk

Ben Harvey

• Global Moderator
  • Paper King
Sci fi worries.
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 05:56:20 PM »
still... the upper case kind of freaks me out  :?

Luke's alterego

Sci fi worries.
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 10:22:20 PM »
Quote from: "Ben Harvey"
still... the upper case kind of freaks me out  :?

Me too. Paul, that may be the way you like to write, but, I for one, just skip what you write. Not because I have any opinion about you, or what you have to say, but just the way you package it. I suggest that you check out

http://www.donmarquis.com/archy/index.html

... which is about a fictional cockroach called Archy, who writes to his friend Mehitabel the cat. Because he can only write by diving head first on the type writer keys, he only writes in lower case.

Another suggestion, which is probably my role as a technical teacher, is that you use some punctuation. Try reading it aloud, but only breathing in when you hit a full stop or a comma. Having said that, I am not trying to discourage you from posting. It is just that I am so conscious of the way you write, I miss what you are trying to say.

Just my 2c.

cheers

Luke

An archy-ism

don t cuss the climate
it probably doesn t like you
any better
than you like it

PAUL UK

ok
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2006, 10:49:32 AM »
ok guys trying the lower case hope you like it better, so anyone like sci fi space ships got some cool ideas would any body be interested in this project of in space ship on ship battles? :D  :D