Author Topic: The Kings Congress  (Read 1627 times)

Evilnames

• Administrator
  • Paper King
    • http://jgreview.blogspot.com/
The Kings Congress
« on: September 22, 2007, 05:37:45 PM »
Upon the first month in 1100 the King was disposed.  The people begun to dismiss his notions of divine providence and wonder if they could in some way rule themselves.  Yet they realized that the only way to do this would be through a representative body with support through the king (for the more superstitious of the races!)

And so it was held the first election of the Congress of Mitherian.  The people came from miles around to cast their ballots for their prospective representatives parties, dwarves, elves, orcs, and humans walked to the ballot box that day and dropped something that could give their opinion to the nation.

Your goal is to play one of these political parties during the first session of the new congress.  Your goal is to try and enact the most reforms with your consitugiounts names, and to get the majority of the vote!   This will mean political action between your the five groups involved, and most importantly a good eye for manuvering your power behind the right legislation.  The session lasts approxamity 5 weeks at the end of each week you are allowed to put your parties votes YEA, NAY, or ABSTAIN.  

Votes will be given on every Saturday Night, and must be received by 7:00PM EST.  A list of items to be voted on will be released on Thursday nights.  In order to allow something to be voted on at least 35 members must agree with it.

There are 100 Seats within the new congress split between 5 parties.

Dwarven Mining Coalition
Tau0011
The DMC has 32 seats with in the new congress.  It's major issues are mining safety, and alcohol taxes (Anti of course!)  Their goal is to get more money for their mining activities in the northern mountains while attempting to remove some support for the farmers in the south.  Dwarves do not make up a majority of the population, but make up a majority of the voters in the population!  They are not an environmental group and would rather have individuals convert the land into the resources in order to make a stronger economic situation.

Peoples Farming Party
Ben Harvey
The PFP caries 23 seats with in the new congress.  The main issue for them is farming.  They are made up mostly of Humans, but have a small group of Dwarven environmentalist support, some Orcs also support this organization because of its peaceful, PRO ORC ideas.  Other main issues are water quality, and subsidizing farmers.  They find mining harmful to the water quality of the southern regions due to run off of the harmful materials dumped into the snows.

Elven Wooden Society
Quite simply the EWS is small.  The elves hold only 15 seats within the new congress.  They seem to have a small reason of exsistence, protect the forests.  They do not like farming, or mining and really wish to just succeed if that was possible.  Though their magical abilities DO HELP the people of the nation which is a major reason why they have yet to succeed.

Strigfuld Provence Party
|MC|
The SPP holds only 17 seats with in the new congress and its goals are pretty straight forward.  The entire area was ravished by an evil wizard who destroyed all the crops.  They want to BAN MAGIC, at ALL costs from the empire, and to take this war into the neighboring nations.  This said the outside lands do not really see this as a big deal, magic helps them!  But the SPP wants to make sure this kind of thing is stopped.  They are more environmentally sound then most other parties having a strong farmer backing, and do not mind the mining to much so long as it stays out of their rivers, forests harbor the magic in the kingdom so they do not really like it.

Orcens
13 seats are held by O.  They work simply to protect the rights of Orcs with in the empire.  While other groups find them a disgrace to the society, especially elves who retinely attack them, the Orcens were backed by a majority of Orc supporters.  Not radical, but not quite peaceful this group wants to put forward a strong front to give as many rights to Orcs as possible (Stricter laws on anti Orc magic and such.)  While still maintaining the idea of an new open society.

Last but Not Least

King Harmond III
Disposed from his power by a mob the King now sits back and has extremely limited wartime powers.  He can veto bills (Much like a President) however only a 50% majority is needed to overturn a veto.  The king is very strict about maintaining a religious, magical, status quo and hopes that this continues.

All of these parties may be played, the king is just there in case we get more then 5!  Please use the time in between voting to discuss potential resolutions and other ideas on improving or chaning the country to you parties ideals!  I hope you all enjoy the game :)

Major Issues of the Day

Alcohol Taxes
*A major issue for the people with in the realm.  The King had imposed a tax on Alcohol almost a few days before he was disposed from major power.  This money goes to pay for the military but also towards putting rivers back into use.  
Support
Humans : For
Elves : Very much For
Dwarves : Strongly Against
Orcs : Neutral

Anti-Magic v. Pro-Magic
*Magic has been both hurting and helping the people in this realm for many generations.  In general only one province has been hit by a strain of Illiousniary and necromancy actions.  Otherwise individuals find that people should be free to practice what they want!
Support
Humans : Neutral
Elves : Against
Dwarves : Strongly Against (Mining Implementation through functions of magic.)
Orcs : Neutral

Environmentalist Actions
*Mentioned extensively above.
Support
Humans : For
Elves : Strongly For
Dwarves : Strongly Against
Orcs : Neutral.

National economic steering
*Differnt races are arguing about how the government should steer the economy.  The view right now is ONE ONLY and not a mixed economy.
Support
Humans : Farming
Elves : Let everything Grow!
Dwarves : Strip Mining
Orcs : Can go either way.

Military expansion
*Military expansion had been talked about by the king for ages, and acted upon only after the incident with magic users in the south.  This said most individuals are against it except for Orcs.  Orcs are the majority of the military and are most likely to jump in and support the war effort.  They get paid more and live better during wars not to mention have a better ammount of freedoms.  The king has always counted on the backing of the Orcs to do his bidding.
Support
Humans : Against
Dwarves : Against
Orcs : For

Research Funds
*Research is an emerging topic within the realm due to its presence in the state of mining.  The people in the southern regions however find it kind of useless.  As subsidence farmers they'd rather continue to just survive and not make a profit.  So they have no real need for 'tech' instead they'd rather see a nice simple world.  Orcs find it as a way to involve themselves in further strengthening their outlook within society.
Support
Humans : Against
Dwarves : Strongly For
Orcs : Strongly For

Constitutional Power
*The look upon Constitutional power is very favorable.  Everyone wants to take support from the king and put it in THEIR representative.  Unfourtantly no one likes the other people so no one wants one group to have all the power in the next congresses!  Thus the baselines of support shift on whoever is winning the most votes.

Tau0011

• Collector
  • Paper King
  • Creator of Worlds
The Kings Congress
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 05:46:19 PM »
Dwarven Mining Colation at your service
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.          -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Ben Harvey

• Paper Soldier Philosopher
  • Global Moderator
  • Paper King
The Kings Congress
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 05:52:26 PM »
Poeples farming party please!

|MC|

The Kings Congress
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 05:00:27 PM »
Strigfuld Provence Party, provided I get a little more information as to what sort of magic is predominantly used -- Arguments against mind-affecting magic can be very different against evocation magic or illusionary magic.

Evilnames

• Administrator
  • Paper King
The Kings Congress
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 08:02:59 PM »
Hey, I added the major issues of the day along with racial support.  I hope that gives you a better idea of the region and what people are expecting out of your organizations.  The game will start next week on Saturday night; well officially.  But if you want to discuss some ideas or if you need an example go ahead and ask :)

|MC|

The Kings Congress
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 09:34:45 PM »
Well, I like the concept of the game, but I fear it may head down the path gamers have dubbed "railroading".  The fact that all of the stances of the parties/races have been predetirmined really resricts gameplay from creative arguments to "Would my party do that? I guess..."

I propose something where we create our own parties with stances on issues from a common pool.

Ill expand later.  spent 30 minutes typing this on PSP.  (My comp monitor is broke)

|MC|

The Kings Congress
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 04:40:11 PM »
Okay.  Got myself a borrowed monitor, but this'll do to explain myself a bit.

What I meant before is that I wasn't too happy with having all of my parties' beliefs handed to me.  It just seems to encourage simply saying "I guess my party would vote no on that." instead of all the slithery, sneaky, flipfloppy tactics that politics are famous for.  

The solution to this would be to have us make our own parties.  I'll use the Party of the Republic as a generic example for the rest of this post.  

What a new party would do is select from a pool of potential issues their stance.  For example, all the issues facing Kingdom X are...

War with Kingdom Y
Need to Expand the City onto Farm Areas
Magic Use

... From that pool, the P.o.t.R would choose it's stances (In a real game, there'd be more, possibly some issues brought up by players ala Matrix)

War with Kingdom Y - Strongly Support
Need to Expand the City onto Farm Areas - Neutral
Magic Use - Strongly Disagree

... And so on.  From there, depending on what they support, they will get a percentage of followers.  Every 100 followers from any race gets you another seat in the Congress for your party (Numbers are estimates)

So basically, say Humans support the war with Kingdom Y, support expanding onto farm lands, but dislike magic use.  The P.o.t.R would be appealing to them -- Somehow a system to figure out percent of followers would be here.

Changing your stances could change who follows you, or in the case of a bad roll (Matrix system) or simply too much (Obvious or abrupt) flipping could result in people simply going elsewhere (Gaining you no followers, but losing you some)

The goal is to win.  To win, you need to control a percentage of the seats.  If your party loses all it's seats do to loss of followers (Either by them being taken by other parties, or simply abandoning you), the party ceases to be involved in the congress and is out of the game.  

So basically, diplomacy but instead of countries, it's a congress.  If that explanation was confusing, sorry.  If you understood and liked it, though, I'd be willing to help out in sanding the edges.

Evilnames

• Administrator
  • Paper King
The Kings Congress
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 05:04:51 PM »
I do understand what you are saying here.  And to a great extent I do understand it!  The only thing is that there is still that backstabbing to get what you want with prebuilt parties.  Even though the believes are there, when being given other believes of your own choosing you will still try to vote in that way!  That said if you get a group of people who only vote magic in a majority and group to play to win then the game is a total bust.

I however am willing to try your path also, but I would also like to see if this system works upon its own at the moment (if thats ok?)  I am not rejecting your idea, its more creative and less rigid!  At the moment though I am hoping we can get two more players if not three :p.