Author Topic: Need for a new game; or a couple!  (Read 2491 times)

Evilnames

• Administrator
  • Paper King
    • http://jgreview.blogspot.com/
Need for a new game; or a couple!
« on: September 20, 2007, 07:12:24 PM »
JG wants you!

To be a GM and get some game ideas on this board!  If you have some ideas but do not want to run them just post them and maybe someone will pick them up!

juniorgeneral

• Administrator
  • Paper King
    • Junior General
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 07:55:45 PM »
Well I was kicking around an idea for WWII matrix game a while back, but there didn't seem to be much interest so I dropped it.
"A master of karate, and friendship for everyone."
: Junior General Site : Forum Rules : Forum FAQs :

|MC|

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 08:53:40 PM »
Well, I could run an online D&D game for everyone.  I'm not sure how I'd go about condensing an entire 230+ page rulebook into a decently sized topic.

Perhaps another Diplomacy game?  Maybe one with different variables (Different time period, different location, different units, etc).  Those are always fun (Provided the activity level keeps up.  And the backstabbing isn't too frequent.  Which it always is, but alas...)

Maybe Civilization could be kicked back up from it's grave.  Now that I know how to handle a Matrix game better (Before, I was set on Roleplay mode and ended up killing my culture in a fitting-but-losing way.)  Maybe speed it up though (Biweekly updates and/or faster timescale) as to help get the game into the (fabled) higher technology.  We got to I believe Iron and just bumped into the Rando-Civ orange people with steel in quite a few months of that game.

Or even just a slow-moving tactical game with a (hex or square) grid that gets updated when everyone sends in their actions ("I move my Battleship to A4, and my Infantry to F9").

I'd be willing to run any of those.  I'm sure Ben wouldn't mind taking up Civilization again (If he isn't too busy).  I could probably run (And play?) Diplomacy.  A simple grid game could get boring, but I could run it.

Half-track

• Designer
  • Paper King
  • I'll Be Back
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 09:12:05 PM »
whats matrix?
"From the sublime to the rediculous is but a step"
-Napoleon I of France

Daniel

• Human Target
  • Administrator
  • Paper King
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 09:49:45 PM »
Quote from: "Half-track"
whats matrix?

Here is the URL given to me when I asked the same question. The site was really useful.

http://www.io.com/~hamster/englematrixgames.html

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

dfc
: Forum Rules : Forum FAQs :
"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Ben Harvey

• Paper Soldier Philosopher
  • Global Moderator
  • Paper King
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 04:05:02 AM »
:wink: Civ u say?

could be fun, deffinatly

I was thinking I would have like an exponentail time scale to simulate the upping of progress..

so for the first few 1000 years it would be 100 years a turn but when u get to 1500 it goes to 50 and when u get to 1900 it goes to 25..  2000 + coudl be like 5 years a turn..

Tau0011

• Collector
  • Paper King
  • Creator of Worlds
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
I agree JG, I say reseruct the WW2 matrix game from exactly where it left off ; if that does happen I have dibbs on the United States
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.          -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

juniorgeneral

• Administrator
  • Paper King
    • Junior General
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 02:57:13 PM »
This is where it left off, anyone interested in bringing it back and playing it?

OK let's go with WWII East front, Germans vs. Soviets. Next we need to come up with a balance of forces. This is for starters

Soviets:
1 HQ - 1 officer, 1 commisar/politcal officer, 2 riflemen, 1 sniper
3 squads - ten men including a LMG and an NCO w/ SMG
1 50 mm mortar and 3 crew
1 HMG and 4 crew

Germans:
1 HQ - 1 officer, 1 NCO, 2 riflemen, LMG w/ 2 crew, Kubelwagen
3 squads - ten men including a LMG and an NCO w/ SMG
1 50 mm mortar and 3 crew

What changes should be made to make a fun, balanced game but also keeping the forces small.

Supreme Commander 'Eekut

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 02:59:34 PM »
OOOOH sounds like fun...if dad would buy me card and stuff and lemme print out!Hes luicky im not gonna let my feral powers out on him.NAd this isnt much for this game,but i thought of 3 SAS men in Normandy up against a battalion of gERMNS:) WHAT do u think matt?

Supreme Commander 'Eekut

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 03:01:23 PM »
i ahve dibbs on SAS

Half-track

• Designer
  • Paper King
  • I'll Be Back
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 04:00:59 PM »
i still dont get what how a matrix game works :oops:  what do you do???
-Napoleon I of France

juniorgeneral

• Administrator
  • Paper King
    • Junior General
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 05:29:02 PM »
Each turn the players propose what happens next in the game, giving reasons for why their proposal is likely to happen.  The ref assesses the proposals based on how likely they are to happen, and they succeed or fail with a die roll.  Failed proposals disappear.  Successful proposals actually happen, creating a story as we go along.

Proposals can be about anything, but proposals that make sense, build on facts in the story from the starting situation or from previous successful proposals, and have good arguments in their favor are most likely to succeed.

A proposal normally takes the form of action / result / reasons.  For example:

action:  First squad occupies the town of Hicksville.  They use the MMG and LMG to set up an ambush with interlocking fields of fire.  The riflemen are deployed in concealed locations to prevent the enemy from flanking the MGs.  A concealed observation post is established in the bell tower of the church.  The Lt. and sniper are posted there.

result:  We have a concealed ambush in the town which the enemy doesn't know anything about.  Any attempt to pass the town or use the nearby road will trigger an ambush.

reasons:  
1.  We have a veteran NCO in the squad that knows how to set up an ambush.
2.  We are positioned close to the town, so it's not a difficult move.  We can move through the forest to conceal our movement.  The town is currently unoccupied.

If successful all the details of the action become part of the story, facts. They can be used for later arguments.  You can make proposals about anything, so if the enemy doesn't come near the town that's ok.  You can make a proposal that they do, and get ambused, because you can make proposals about anything, including the actions of the other side.  Of course you'd need a good reason for why they'd move into town, maybe it's a strategic crossroads they'd want to control.  Maybe they are low on supplies and go to town to look for food.  Whatever you can think of.  You're only limited by your imagination, and of course logic.

Skutatos

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 05:50:21 PM »
Sounds like fun.

Half-track

• Designer
  • Paper King
  • I'll Be Back
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 06:05:18 PM »
heheh hicksville. i am starting to get it.

let me get this straight. so the payer makes a proposal ( which is like a move) and the other players say if it can happen?
-Napoleon I of France

juniorgeneral

• Administrator
  • Paper King
    • Junior General
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
No, the ref rates the proposal from Very Strong to Very Weak, then a die roll decides if it happens.

Sometimes the players do rate each other's proposals, but that's not what I had in mind for this game.