Juniorgeneral Forum Forum Index Juniorgeneral Forum Forum Index
Juniorgeneral Forum
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
juniorgeneral
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions Reply with quote

Designer

1. How do I post a picture?
2. How can I submit figures for loading to the site?
3. What are the forum rules?
4. Can I use other people’s drawing to make mine?
5. Can I use the drawing from this site in the game I’m making?
6. What formats do you allow?
7. When will my stuff be uploaded?
8. What does “Designers Forum (Classic)” and “Designers Forum (Nonhistorical)” mean?
9. What's the Dark Site?
10. I submitted my drawings, but they weren’t uploaded! What’s up with that?
11. Do I have to draw backsides?
12. How do I get the designer badge?
13. What are the requirements for a file that is going to be submitted to the website?
14. What material is not allowed?
15. I want to make a request of the designers, what should go into the request?
16. What is the authorization code?
17. I want to draw something, what should I draw?
18. What is a Matrix Game?
19. I have a forum related problem. Who can I talk to about it?
20. How long has the website been around? How old is the forum?
21. There are lots of police pages on the website, why can’t I add my really cool drawings of criminals?
22. Who is Marvin? Alex? Matt? Jon?
23. When do I have to give credits?
24. Hey! That guy used my drawings and didn’t give me a credit! What should I do?
25. What does WIP mean?
26. How do I get the Serious Designer banner to add to my signature?
27. Do you accept donations to help run the site?
28. Can I be a moderator?
29. I found a really good black & white drawing on another site! Can I just resize and color it and submit it?
30. I found some really cool flags on another site! Can I use them in my drawings?
31. What are the different types of Bans and does it happen often?
32. How are the Forums and Website connected?
33. When I submit a file can I ask for it to be removed in the future?
34. Do I need to cite the site if I use the figures for a convention or anything of that sort?
35. Whats the best way to contribute to the community?
36. How do I set my avatar, signature, or other public information?
37. What program do you use to make the drawings?
38. There are many modern paper soldiers on the site, why aren't there any modern sims?
39. Can I sell me stuff on your forum?

1. How do I post a picture?

a)Upload it to a website. Use something like www.imageshack.us
b)Copy the link to the photo (On Imageshack there will be a 'Direct Link' box.)
c)In your post type [img]YOURLINKHERE[/img]

2. How can I submit figures for loading to the site?

You can add them to the FILES READY FOR UPLOAD thread in the Designer’s Forum (Classic). Or you add them to a PM and send it to juniorgeneral. Or you can send the files as attachments to matt-fritz@comcast.net

3. What are the forum rules?

They are in this thread right here: http://www.juniorgeneral.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2
1. Please post in the correct forum. Incorrectly placed topics and posts will be moved to the proper location (Or deleted, if they violate our rules; See below)

2. Please be respectful of all fellow Juniorgeneral Forum members. Insults will not be tolerated in any form, especially insults about ethnic groups, nationalities, or religions.

3. This is a family-friendly forum. Inappropriate images, such as those depicting gore, nudity, or drug/alcohol paraphernalia, will not be tolerated and will be removed. Profanity is also not allowed, and will be removed.

4. Do not steal credit for images that are not yours. If you are posting an image from a different website, give a citing link below the image or risk having the image removed.

5. This is not a political debate forum. Debates regarding politics, religion, or other sensitive issues do not belong on the Juniorgeneral Forums.

6. Do not spam. Spam includes excessively off-topic posts, one word replies ("Lol" "nice" "cool", etc), and anything that is just intended to annoy and serves no discussion.

7. Requests for a designer to list a credit to you on his drawings should be handled by PM or email. Don't post messages in the forums asking for credit. These messages will be removed by a moderator.

Punishments for violating these rules can range from deletion of the offending post/topic, to temporary suspension of your account, or banning from the forum, depending on severity and frequency of offenses.

4. Can I use other people’s drawing to make mine?

Yes! That’s what we do here.

5. Can I use the drawing from this site in the game I’m making?

If you don’t charge money for it, then yes. If you will be charging money for it, then the answer is no. It’s best to ask the designer first.

6. What formats do you allow?

We prefer files in PNG format. GIF and BMP are also acceptable, but BMP will be converted to PNG before it is uploaded on the website. We don’t accept JPG. This is because JPG images are lossy, so every time you save the image it gets worse. This makes them difficult to work with when you try to copy and modify the figures.

7. When will my stuff be uploaded?

There will be a notice posted in the FILES READY FOR UPLOAD THREAD on Friday announcing that the deadline has arrived for submitting new pages for the week. Pages submitted after that deadline will have to wait until the following week. Files should be up on the site by Monday morning. Check the website and blog for details of what was uploaded.

8. What does “Designers Forum (Classic)” and “Designers Forum (Nonhistorical)” mean?

The classic forum is for historical drawings. The nonhistorical forum is for everything else: fantasy, sci-fi, alternative history, etc.

9. What's the Dark Site?

The Dark Site is a blog where you can submit pages that are not appropriate for the website. This would include inappropriate subject matter, blood and gore, copyrighted material, etc. The web address is: http://papersoldierworld.blogspot.com/

10. I submitted my drawings, but they weren’t uploaded! What’s up with that?

I dunno. Send a PM to juniorgeneral and ask him.

11. Do I have to draw backsides?

For front facing drawings – yes. For side views you can just flip the image so the same drawing is used for both sides. Some members disapprove of this, but drawing of this type WILL be uploaded to the website.

12. How do I get the designer badge?

If you have 1 page of drawings uploaded to the site, or one simulation, you have earned the Designer Badge. If you don’t have the Badge, and deserve it, it’s because we forgot to add it. Send a PM to evilnames or juniorgeneral and you’ll get it.

13. What are the requirements for a file that is going to be submitted to the website?

Simulations: Can be submitted as PDFs, MS WORD, Text files, or in the body of an email message. Simulations should be simple enough for students to use and enjoy

Paper Soldiers: The preferred format is GIF. BMP and PNG are also good, JPG is acceptable. Drawings should be similar in style and scale to those already on the website. Please keep pages sizes to 8.5" x 11" or smaller, so they can be printed on a standard sheet of paper. If the drawing is larger try to split it into two or more pages. Put the ground and water figures on bases. A bit too thick is better than a bit too thin. Please put your name and the website URL (www.juniorgeneral.org) on the page, and identify the drawings (unit type, equipment, etc)

14. What material is not allowed?

Designs that are deemed not appropriate for school children, such as blood and gore, drugs, or sexually explicit images will not be accepted for the website. Figures that are based on copyrighted material will not be posted. This includes figures from recent movies, video games, Games Workshop, etc. You can submit these to the Dark Site. http://papersoldierworld.blogspot.com/

15. I want to make a request of the designers, what should go into the request?

Requests are always welcome. The more information you can provide about what you want, the easier it is for the designers, and the more likely you are to get what you want. If you are making a NEW request it's a good idea to post it as a new topic rather than burying it at the bottom of another thread. Post requests in the Requests & Suggestions forum.

Requesting paper soldiers, equipment or terrain:
Name of the Unit/Piece
Time Period of the Unit/Piece
List of everything you need
Pictures of the unit or link to site with pictures if you have them. Please don't grab copyrighted pictures off of other people's websites. If it's a copyrighted image use a link instead.

Requesting a Battle Simulation:
Name of the Battle
Year of the Battle
Why the battle is interesting
Any information you can provide, like order of battle, map, or links to sites with similar information

16. What is the authorization code?

Its purpose is to thwart spambots. The code is kursk1943

17. I want to draw something, what should I draw?

Check the To-Do list in the Requests & Suggestions forum for some good ideas. http://www.juniorgeneral.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1255

18. What is a Matrix Game?

It’s a style of game we sometimes play here on the forum. Basically each player says what should happen next in the story, and gives a few reasons why it should happen. The referee judges how likely it is to occur and rolls a die to see if it happens. Each successful roll adds a new element to the ongoing story. This style of gaming was invented by Chris Engle, check out his website for more information: http://www.hamsterpress.net/news/list

19. I have a forum related problem. Who can I talk to about it?

Send a PM to one of the moderators: Ben Harvey, Plato(o)n, dirk, Daniel, or Luftwaffe Flak Vierling
Or contact one of the admins: juniorgeneral or evilnames

20. How long has the website been around? How old is the forum?

The website began in the fall of 2000. The forum started on June 24, 2006. Now you know.

21. There are lots of police pages on the website, why can’t I add my really cool drawings of criminals?

*sigh* Modern criminals will not be uploaded to the website. The website is intended for school age children. Crime and gang violence are problems in many US schools. So files of this type will not be uploaded. Don’t bother trying to convince us, our minds are made up on this. You can put them on the forum, and you can send them to the Dark Site.

22. Who is Marvin? Alex? Matt? Jon?

Some veteran forum members will use each others first names sometimes, instead of their forum usernames.
Marvin = Plato(o)n
Alex = evilnames
Matt = juniorgeneral
Jon = Luftwaffe Flak Vierling

23. When do I have to give credits?

Not often. Credits are only required if you take another person’s finished drawings and make minor changes in them. For example taking a vehicle and giving it a new camo pattern. Or change the helmets on a page of soldiers. No credits are needed if you use small pieces of another person’s work. Although they are appreciated. No credits are needed for anything you take off the Masters section. No credits are needed for drawings in a forum game if they are not going to be uploaded.

24. Hey! That guy used my drawings and didn’t give me a credit! What should I do?

First – take a deep breath. It’s going to be OK. Second send him a PM. That will usually resolve the situation. If it becomes necessary, you can ask a moderator to … ummm … moderate the disagreement.

25. What does WIP mean?

Work in Progress – unfinished drawings

26. How do I get the Serious Designer banner to add to my signature?

There are several different banners of that sort. They are created by various members for various reasons. They are not officially endorsed by the forum. They are shared (or not) at the discretion of the creators.

27. Do you accept donations to help run the site?

No. The costs are modest, but thank you. What you can do, however, is help a younger person get started in the hobby. A little time or money can go a long way. Help grow the hobby.

28. Can I be a moderator?

No. If we need more moderators we will contact someone that seems like a good candidate. We don’t take volunteers, but thanks anyway.

29. I found a really good black & white drawing on another site! Can I just resize and color it and submit it?

No. That would be wrong. Unless you have permission from the site. You can use the drawing as reference in creating your own.

30. I found some really cool flags on another site! Can I use them in my drawings?

Not without permission. That would be wrong. Ask the site if you can use them, and if they say OK please include their web address on your page. There are a lot of great flags at http://www.warflag.com/ and we have permission to use the flags on that site provided we include a credit to the site. It's only fair.

31. What are the different types of Bans and does it happen often?

Bans are rarely used items which allow the moderating staff to give individuals time outs on the forums. Most bans are temporary, from 3-7 days. All bans come with an IP ban attached in which the user is NOT allowed to view the forums until their ban is over.

32. How are the Forums and Website connected?

The forums are the community side of the website. For purposes of submission, giving a figure to the site is considered as giving to a different aspect of the site. If for example you are banned on the forums you are not banned on the website.

33. When I submit a file can I ask for it to be removed in the future?

We prefer not too. The main reason is that sometimes temper can get the best of people. We do not want to loose the hard work one has done in the past because of some future conflict outside the realm of the running of the site. Therefore we consider a submission to be in the public domain.

34. Do I need to cite the site if I use the figures for a convention or anything of that sort?

Absolutely not! Go ahead and use them at will in the public or private of the community.

35. Whats the best way to contribute to the community?

Be patient, considerate, and ready to help. But also be creative. If you see a uniform somewhere; or some new vehicle that we do not have on the site then try your hardest to get it made!

36. How do I set my avatar, signature, or other public information?

Click PROFILE and all of the information which you can edit is on the page!

37. What program do you use to make the drawings?

Most designers use MS Paint. A few use more advanced programs like Photshop or GIMP (a free program available on the Internet).

38. There are many modern paper soldiers on the site, why aren't there any modern sims?

The cut off on the website is the Vietnam War, simulations more recent than that won't be put on the website. More recent conflicts are often touchy subjects, wrapped up in politics, and the emotions are still raw.

39. Can I sell me stuff on your forum?

Did you join the forum just so you could try and sell us your junk? If so, please go away. But if you're an active forum member it's OK if you want to sell off some of your stuff. Just please don't do it so much that you become known as the jerk that's always selling stuff.

Last edited by juniorgeneral on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:02 am; edited 8 times in total
juniorgeneral
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Designer

Here is the FAQ. If anyone thinks of anything else to add, let us know.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

Jump to: